- Counseling is a mutual process involving the development of a confidential professional relationship that focuses on personal concerns. The counselor & the client identify the problem, gain insights & explore the most effective ways to deal with it.
- Though 'speaking' is a part of counseling, the counselor may use other methodologies like art, play, writing, body awareness and breathing techniques. Whatever medium is used, the counselor will explain his or her methods before beginning with it & the client will not be compelled to be a part of it if there is any discomfort.
- When an individual is unable to function as efficiently as he/she can, it is a good time to seek professional help.
- The individual might have mood swings & difficulty in making rational decisions.
- There could be a past traumatic incident that might be affecting the individual's present life.
- Unexplained aches & pains in the body can also be a sign of mental stress.
- The individual's relationship with close people starts being affected.
- The activities that made the person happy earlier may seem to be of very low interest now.
- Session is charged Rs.2000 for a 1-hour session.
- Payment takes place at the end of each session if the client pays through cash or before the session if payment is done through bank transfer.
- Client takes an appointment for a 50-minutes session. If the client comes late for the session, the session would still end at the scheduled time & not be compensated. Hence the client is expected to reach 5 minutes before the appointment.
On the basis of the concerns shared by the client, the counseling/therapy sessions are planned & accordingly the client may get an idea of the number of sessions. However, there are times when the client might want to work on some other issues which can continue the sessions further
There is no specific age for counseling. A person of any age can ask for help & guidance from a counselor/therapist.
A counselor does not prescribe any medications. However, she may recommend the client to a psychiatrist if the client is extremely emotionally disturbed or showing any symptoms which can be difficult to work within counseling sessions alone.